On interfaces..

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Fri May 25 15:11:46 UTC 2001

Kevin Fisher wrote:

> On the subject of pen-based interfaces, I've had some general thoughts
> and questions about interfaces overall.
>
> We've been discussing making the Squeak environment more friendly towards
> stylus-based input.  I think it is safe to say that the standard interface
> needs some massaging to make it work better with a pen.
>
> The current Squeak interface is very text-based, even under Morphic.
> When we create new objects, we do it textually, ie:
>
> foo := SomeObject new.
>
> We then access and manipulate the object textually as well:
>
> foo someMessage: 'testing'.
>
> In Morphic, I have a few other options available...I can open an inspector
> window on the object which gives me...a container for more text.
>
> Now, Morphs are a bit different...these can be inspected and manipulated
> non-textually with menus and halos to a certain extent.

Have you tested the eToy stuff on your iPaq ? It's mostly drag and drop
to create stuff etc. It uses quite a bit of the screen and it can be
slow on low performance device... In the same direction is the UniversalTiles
that turns your whole class liberay into tiles. It would be interesting
hear how this stuff works on PDAs.
Karl