Squeak for iPAQ

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Fri May 11 02:38:20 UTC 2001

>> 1) World menu too tall for screen ("save & quit" is the lowest visible
>> item).

>  Yes, this is a problem.  One workaround is to full screen.
>The menu will fit into the screen.  Anyway, this is not a VM
>issue, but Squeak level issue.  I can imagine possible
>change, but I recommend you to report it to the Squeak
>mailing list.

Ok ... I am reporting it to the list. Fullscreen avoids the problem, but
then I can't get a SIP.  And I don't have a Stowaway, yet.

>> 2) Performance is VERY slow.

>  You mean that when you compare it to some other platform?
>Or some benchmark result is too slow?  For example, what "0
>tinyBenchmarks" returns?

I ran "0 tinyBenchmarks" on the iPAQ:

'10512483 bytecodes/src; 375349 sends/src'

this compares to:

'31936127 bytecodes/sec; 1017267 sends/sec'

on a 366mhz Pentium II.  The iPAQ is roughly 1/3 the benchmark performance
of the laptop.

However, what I mean by slow is the UI that feels VERY slow and
non-responsive.  Ned Konz suggested opening an MVC project, and MVC does
feel more responsive than Morphic, but the overall experience is still slow.

A few items which I believe are related to the CE port:

   1) The GAPI window extends over the title bar in non-fullscreen mode.
   2) If I click to get the SIP, and then click near the native titlebar,
the titlebar activates instead of the Smalltalk window that SHOULD be
responding. (See item #1)
   3) Switching away from Squeak, and back, is not reliable.
   4) Launching from File Explore brings up the select window even when
Squeak is already running, instead of returning you to the already running
instance.

This is running on a 3650.  I hope to be able to test on a 3670 next week.

	--- Noel