reference manual need

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Sun May 20 16:42:28 UTC 2001

> The first thing I did after deciding to seriously undertake learning
> and using Squeak was to get everything I could find from the web,
> which included joining lists like this one, getting primers and intros
> and reference subsets such as the Quick Reference, and getting a
> used copy of David Smith's out-of-print book "IBM Smalltalk: the
> Language".  This book combines the approaches of Guy Steele's
> Common Lisp: the Lanuage" (as you might expect from the title)
> with a class encyclopedia.  It helps but is far from sufficient and is
> incorrect for Squeak in many places.
>
> All these things help but none suffice as a working reference for
> Squeak.

Many of us got started and then got by with much less than that.  I'm
not sure precisely what traits you seek from a "working reference."
Perhaps you might spell that out.  More significantly, once you get "on
track" with the system, it would be a wonderful thing if you found
yourself able to contribute the same.