John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sun May 13 19:04:08 UTC 2001

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Sat, 12 May 2001, John Hinsley wrote:
>
> > Erm....  Do I have to tell Squeak to explicitly load the plug in?
>
> No.
>
> > What exactly do I have to do?
>
> Your best bet would be to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to
> the directory where you put the compiled module (.so). The run Squeak anf
> try the do-its, it really should be found now.
>
> If not, you can see how the module is tried to be loaded in
> sqUnixExternalPrims.c by #defining DEBUG in line 70 (and fixing a handful
> of missing stderr file handles in dprintf calls on lines 104, 121, 164,
> and 176 -- normally the debug code is not used).

I finally got it going. But I'm more than a bit puzzled by the how:

I tried Alexander's suggestion of looking at what was loaded by doing
print it "Smalltalk listLoadedModules". The UnixOS... didn't show up. I
copied David's compiled  version everywhere (if in doubt, copy it!). I
shut down Squeak, re-started and did "Smalltalk listLoadedModules"
again. It still didn't show up.

I remembered Alexander writing that it should load automatically and, as
it
seemed to me that everything was there, that we'd all done everything in
our
power to make it work, I used the browser and found
"UnixOSProcessAccessor
startUp", did it, and there was one of those almost imperceptible
bursts of disk activity: almost like a gear sliding into mesh. Suddenly
everything started working.

On restarting Squeak it's there, loaded and up and waiting.

Wierd, eh?

Thanks for all your help: any thoughts on this?

Cheers

John
Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."