pending file primitives (EH?)

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Sat May 26 04:28:46 UTC 2001

Noel,

> Hence the reason to find a better way to integrate memory
> mapped files.  And this is really why I had asked earlier
> about disjoint heaps, because I see a lot of open issues here.
> Apparently, my inquiry was mis-understood as a simple inquiry
> into garbage collection and memory management.
[snip]

No it wasn't. The key issue when dealing with multiple object memories *is*
garbage collection. It is because the garbage collector needs to know what
objects are still alive, where it can move objects around and when and where
to stop. And do all of this in real-time. I've been talking with Dan about
some of this stuff recently (the idea was to see if we could provide an OM
on a per project basis) and we've had some pretty cute ideas (though nothing
real workable for the moment). So I suggest we'll both watch the other
thread and see if somebody has an outstandingly interesting idea ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas