Keywords

Andrew P. Black black at cse.ogi.edu
Sat May 5 04:58:54 UTC 2001

>Hi
>
>>  Where can I find a list of Keywords? (Commands).  I would like to have
>>  Squeak automate some of the randomization tasks in my gaming
>(Trailblazers).

Raymond:

	Use the method finder: open ... method finder from the world
memu, or drag out the little blue rectangle from the "Tools" flap on
the right of your display.

	Type, e.g., random in the top left pane.  All of the message
names containing the word random appear in the pane below it.  click
on one, and all of the classes defining a method with that name
appear in the top right pane.  Click on one, and a browser pops up to
let you look at the code.

	I've been using Smalltalk for almost seven years, and I'm
still surprised by the richness of the methods available.  I use the
method finder a lot!

	It can also help you find methods by example.  That is, you can type

	8. 2. 6

in the top pane, and you get the response that 8 - 2 --> 6, i.e.,
identifying - as the message that you want.

	I also tried

	{ 1. 3 }. 3

and got
{1. 3} atRandom --> 3
{1. 3} last --> 3
{1. 3} max --> 3
{1. 3} second --> 3

but half the time "atRandom" won't show up, of course!

	Andrew