web application frameworks in Squeak?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Fri May 25 21:27:43 UTC 2001

I too am interested in server side Squeak.

Just a comment before I post questions to other replies.

John Hinsley wrote:
> Zope + MySQL. Not so well documented (and currently lacking a graphical
> front
> end -- I hear one's in the works). I hear tales of blistering
> performance. The
> downside is having to learn Python (and, depending on your POV, having
> to use
> MySQL).

Zope does not require MySQL. If I choose the Zope route with the project
I am about to begin it will be using the ZODB. The ZODB has multiple
backends including a BSDDB version.

Python is not very difficult to learn.
Zope internals on the other hand... :)
Fortunately most do not mess with Zope internals.

> But I wondered, looking through the Sqiki stuff, extrapolating snippets
> from
> this list, just what it'd take to do a web application framework in
> Squeak,
> perhaps using Comanche as a basis? (It'd be nice to use an OODB, too!)
>
> Any thoughts?  Bolot, anyone?

I think Commanche, Swiki, and a Squeak OODB would be a wonderful
beginning.

Jimmie Houchin