Squeakland.org

Roger Whitney whitney at cs.sdsu.edu
Thu May 3 04:54:37 UTC 2001

Alan,
	I tried downloading & installing the pluging on a G3 Blue & White
Mac running OS 8.6. The pluging installer does not let me change drives
from partition containing the system. I have 4 partitions on machine, with
3 web browsers (not counting Scamper). Only one browser (Netscape 4.7) is
in the same partition as the system. This version of Netscape had worked
earlier versions of Squeak plugin, but does not work with this version. All
pages with plugin still say I need the plugin. I tried installing several
times after removing other Squeak plugins and rebooting. The plugin did not
work with Netscape.
	When I moved IE5 to the same partition as the system and reintalled
again, the plugin worked in IE.
	Not clear why the installer would not let me change partitions to
install the plugin. It would be nice if the installer was smart enough to
install on multiple drives/partitions.

	I have only had the time to look at the active essay. One problem
is the size of my screen. I have a 15 inch LCD. A few of the pages in the
active essay had text below the bottom of the screen. I had to move the
morph to see the last few lines of text.

	This is going to be fun. Our department has a strong math ed group.
Their focus is pre college math education. I have shown some of them
squeak. This should increase their interest in squeak.

>We will send out quite a bit more information about how to use the
>site as it gets closer to completion. For now, please try downloading
>the plugins and then try navigating around, both at the top HTML
>level of the site, and the entirely within Squeak levels below.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Alan

Roger Whitney              Mathematical & Computer Sciences Department
whitney at cs.sdsu.edu        San Diego State University
http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/   San Diego, CA 92182-7720
(619) 583-1978
(619) 594-3535 (office)