reference manual need

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon May 21 02:39:16 UTC 2001

	From: Rosemary Michelle Simpson <rms at cs.brown.edu>

	My question in my first post about whether I'm the only one
	who cares about a printed reference manual was a serious and
	not facetious one.

Produce it and I can guarantee you about 7 sales (me, another staff member,
our library, and a fraction of the students who do the 4th-year OO paper).

	Some of the programmers around here don't
	care or need printed material even when its available so long as
	they can get the information online somewhere.

It's amazing how much on-line stuff I have to print so that I can read it
efficiently.  On-line searching is ok when you know what you're looking for;
a straight read through a printed document can tell you things you didn't
know you needed to know, but did.

I learned a heck of a lot about Squeak by printing out Kernel-Objects,
Collections-*, and System-Files, that I would never have learned on-line
because I wouldn't have had a synoptic view.