SerialPort problem in UNIX Squeak 3.0 vm on FreeBSD

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon May 21 21:42:10 UTC 2001

[ On Monday, May 21, 2001 at 12:06:54 (-0700), Ned Konz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: SerialPort problem in UNIX Squeak 3.0 vm on FreeBSD
>
> On Monday 21 May 2001 11:18, Peter William Lount wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed the UNIX Squeak 3.0 vm on a FreeBSD 4.3 box and I'm having
> > trouble using the SerialPort object. It simply does not read any data.
> >
> > I've changed the ../src/unix/sqUnixSerial.c file so that the serial port
> > base name is "/dev/cuaa0" rather than "/dev/ttyS0" (as it should be for
> > Linux).
>
> You could have just symlinked one to the other, no?

No, that would be very wrong....  :-)  Serial port names should never be
hard-coded on Unix systems, and indeed one cannot expect an ordinary
user to be allowed to create symlinks in /dev....

(squeak can indeed be installed and used by any ordinary user on most
any ordinary unix or unix-like box, and on many systems ordinary users
have privileges to use the serial ports, either directly through the way
the administrator has configured the permissions on the /dev entries, or
perhaps courtesy the fact the user may be a member of a unix-group that
owns one or more /dev entries (eg. "dial"))

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>