Different Forks for Different Folks

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Tue May 1 12:35:40 UTC 2001

> From: Richard A. O'Keefe [mailto:ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz]
> Sometimes a computer is just an executive status symbol.

Too true.  One of my favorites was something I watched happen every day for
over two years:

	At a former employer I worked in the Information System
	Department (ISD).  The VP of that department was proud
	of how computer-and-business-saavy he was, and how
	*his* choices for computers were The Best!  His choice?

					Buy IBM!

	As long as it was made by Big Blue, he'd buy it!  We had an
	IBM Token-Ring network, with IBM servers, and loads-n-loads
	of PS/2's on desktops.  It didn't matter that they cost
	twice what compatible machines from other vendors cost -
	IBM good!  Other BA-A-A-AD!!  The problem was that said VP
	didn't *personally* like IBM machines - he wanted a Mac.
	So on his desktop he had the only Mac in the company.  Of
	course, it couldn't talk to the IBM servers, but that was
	OK with him.  The kicker to all this is that in order to get
	his email he had his secretary print out all his emails every
	day from HER computer.  He'd mark up the email, hand-writing
	replies on the printouts she gave him.  Then he'd give
	this pile of emails back to her, she'd enter the replies
	to the emails and send them, schedule meetings, etc.  And this
	bozo couldn't figure out why people hated the email system.
	His attitude was "*I* never seem to have a problem with
	it - it must be user error!".

	I understand that he was eventually walked to the door by
	a nice man from the security department...

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken