Meshwork vs. Hierarchy in SqF

John Briggs johneb47 at optushome.com.au
Wed May 30 10:21:55 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 09:59:49PM -0400, Paul Fernhout wrote:
> Gary-
>
> Very perceptive point on hierarchies. (And that raises a valid concern
> about any organized foundation interacting with a community).
>
> Manuel de Landa in his book "1000 Years of Non-linear History"
> talks about the interrelation of meshworks and hierarchies. These can
> overlap each other, as you might have hierarchies as elements of a
> meshwork, or you might have informal meshwork links within a hierarchy.
>
> You seem to celebrate the meshwork aspect of Squeak and open-source /
> free software. Me too! (Despite what might otherwise appear by my
> involvement on the SqF list.)

Paul thank you for your previous thought provoking articles. I for one have had
to pause a while to digest fully the meaning of and the points you were making
in these articles.

I too agree with the concepts of the meshwork aspect of Squeak and open source/
free software. We do have this in place with the developers' community.

In my opion this should not be the only aspect of the SqF. I consider the one
purposes of the SqF would be to consolidate the different aspects of the
Squeak community (SqC, StSq, developers) under one umbrella organisation to
collaborate with them and to provide a central focal point for external
parties.

Whether this requires funding in any way I do not know, but I feel if we become
incorporated into a non-profit organisation we may have to raise sufficient
funds to accomodate the needs of a co-ordinating body of people for them to do
the necessary work.

Keep up your postings they are always thought provoking and relevant, which is
what we need at this stage in our developement.

Regards
John Briggs