XML, Squeak, and speed

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Fri May 11 13:46:44 UTC 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Well no, my example sorted and grouped them as well, but point taken.
> By the way, I use symbols for entity names, element types, and attribute
> names because I've explored lots of different representations in C, and
> having unique strings for these things saves *lots* of space.

I'm not sure if this it is better to do this, or to use a seperate
immutable string class which does this coalescing automatically.

It doesn't have the syntatic sugar of symbols, but it may be a more
appropriate class to use if you believe that Symbol is more of a system
class

I dunno. I tried to post the changeset from within squeak, but it
never came up.

Scott