Fujitsu Pen Tablets

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Wed May 23 16:20:10 UTC 2001

All of these devices appear to have plenty of screen real estate, processing
power, and memory.  But Squeak's mouse-button-centric UI is an issue for
usability. Even though Squeak works fine with a 1-button mouse, it uses a
keyboard to map back to a 3-button mouse [red == button-1, yellow ==
button-2/option+click, blue === button-3/cmd+click].

Based upon my experiences to-date with the iPAQ, I'd say that Squeak UI
needs more work on stylus-centric devices before it is entirely usable on a
device that lacks a multi-button mouse and/or a keyboard with which to
simulate the effect.  Right now there are too many things that require a
3-button mouse and/or keyboard to manipulate the UI.  Images with Genie just
don't seem to be mature enough, yet.  If someone is aware of some useful
change sets, please let me know.

So far, I haven't seen a stylus-centric UI that out does the Newton for
usability.

	--- Noel