Multiple disjoint object memory in Smalltalk

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri May 25 22:06:45 UTC 2001

>"Noel J. Bergman" <noel at devtech.com> is widely believed to have written:
>
>  > Has anyone done any research into the use of multiple, disjoint, object
>  > memory heaps in Smalltalk?  I have done several searches via Google, and
>>  turned up nothing.
>Only about twenty years worth. Find some old OOPSLA proceedings, take a
>look at 'Garbage Collection' by Jones & Lins, or even my chapter in the
>squeak book at  http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook/15
>
>VisualWorks uses several spaces (three or six depending on how you

Take a look at the train GC algorithm, then also look at how
VisualAge currently maps memory segments and you will find your
mulitple disjoint memory heaps. VA goes beyond that and marks
segments with attributes, Read Only for example. You can get VA for
linux, or a trial version for windows. Also the manuals are available
in PDF form from IBM's web site (somewhere).