[updates] 7 for 3.1 alpha

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri May 18 14:53:36 UTC 2001

How does one get an appropriately formed VM for the Mac?  I
downloaded 3.0.14 as the latest-and-greatest, but now Wonderland
(with all updates loaded) only displays all-black backgrounds and
characters.

Mark

>Folks -
>
>There are seven more updates out on the servers for 3.1 now.  Note
>that (as 4023B3DBumper tells you ( but even your struly didn't read
>it ;-)) 4024, while a fantastic step forward, will actually render
>(so to speak) Wonderland and other 3D unusable until you get a new
>VM, and we haven't issued a full set of new VMs yet.  if you care
>about this, watch for new VMs for your favorite platform before
>upgrading past the bumper (or, of course, make your own (and tell us
>if you do this for *nix ;-)).
>
>Enjoy
>	- Dan
>----------------------------
>4020RepaintFix-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 14 May 2001
>Fixes a problem when repainting an object partially out of the
>world's boundaries (in which case the painting was truncated there)."
>
>4021flapsFromBrowser-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 15 May 2001
>Cleans up the situation where a 3.1a image is launched from a
>Browser via the ProjectLauncher."
>
>4022CMBackStop-ar -- Andreas Raab -- 15 May 2001
>A backstop for BitBlt if it doesn't handle full color maps correctly."
>
>4023B3DBumper -- Andreas Raab -- 16 May 2001
>Give people a chance to bail out before the next update."
>
>4024B3DNoCompromise -- Andreas Raab -- 16 May 2001
>This change set includes a complete reimplementation of 3D hardware
>acceleration. The new approach goes exclusively for speed and much
>less for compatibility. It also provides two different approaches
>for Morphic integration depending upon whether the underlying
>implementation supports direct frame buffer access or not. Both
>variants are currently implemented; on Windows we're using direct
>frame buffer access, on Macs we're using texture compositing. Of
>course, texture compositing is a lot slower than direct access but
>it's still faster than having to deal with glReadPixels...
>Acceleration is available from both, Wonderlands (in the camera's
>red halo menu) as well as the scene explorer morph (where it is
>directly integrated in the user interface).
>Because of the capabilities of modern 3D hardware and APIs various
>improvements have been made to the general interface of
>B3DRenderEngine, including a 'polygon mode' (for rendering
>point/wireframe representation of meshes), points and lines in
>general, as well as fog (I just needed this so it's part of the
>interface; also available from the wonderland camera's viewer). More
>capabilities can and will be added but care must be taken that these
>are available across varying APIs.
>Currently, the new scheme supports OpenGL for Macs and Direct3D
>(DirectX 7) for Windows. DirectX7 was taken because it provides
>serious improvements in terms of speed and structure (DX7 is the
>first DX version treating renderer state as renderer state and is
>therefore much more closely related to OpenGL). An OpenGL
>implementation of the accelerator for Windows is also available (I'm
> [...]

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu