Multiple disjoint object memory in Smalltalk

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Tue May 29 05:39:17 UTC 2001

John,

> Now I can't speak for the comment...
> And I wonder if it's fixed?
> See self longAt: oop put: (header bitAnd: AllButRootBit). clears that
> Root Bit everywhere. But I'd think ObjectMemory>>clearRootsTable
> should do that which is called from fullGC which is called from
> ObjectMemory>>primitiveSnapshot.
>
> So anyone know if this is still a bug? Or is it dead.

I think it's still there. The problem was very hard to make happen to begin
with; it was related to having a young object referenced from the context
that performs the primitive snapshot (for instance changing the startup
message could trigger it). For some weird reason the context invoking the
primitive had the root bit set when coming up again and this lead to tons of
crazy things.

  - Andreas