Meshwork vs. Hierarchy in SqF

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed May 30 01:59:49 UTC 2001

Gary-

Very perceptive point on hierarchies. (And that raises a valid concern
about any organized foundation interacting with a community).

Manuel de Landa in his book "1000 Years of Non-linear History"
  http://www.t0.or.at/delanda/
  http://www.t0.or.at/delanda/meshwork.htm
  http://www.kud-fp.si/~karlo/intview/uslanda.html
talks about the interrelation of meshworks and hierarchies. These can
overlap each other, as you might have hierarchies as elements of a
meshwork, or you might have informal meshwork links within a hierarchy.

You seem to celebrate the meshwork aspect of Squeak and open-source /
free software. Me too! (Despite what might otherwise appear by my
involvement on the SqF list.)

It would be good to tease out objections to:
* managing the Squeak Foundation as a hierarchy vs.
* having a central point (implicit hierarchy) for managing releases vs.
* whether people participating in the existing community meshwork around
Squeak might have a definable common purpose.

The thing is, as soon as people are giving money to an organization for
general use under its direction, there is effectively a hierarchy in
that there is now a decision maker (the foundation) issuing orders made
enforceable (somewhat) through money. Alternatives would be to have
money go directly from donor to developer, to consider the chaordic
model of multiple levels of control (lots of hierarchies), for
individuals to keep doing their own thing, or for the foundation to be
more like a alliance (Apache group?) than a formal organization
(although human tribal machinery may effectively make an alliance
somewhat hierarchical by having either a first-among-equals or a
"benevolent dicatator"). As Manuel de Landa points out, it is very, very
rare for any system to be either a pure meshwork or a pure hierarchy.

However, we already have a funded hierarchy deeply involved in the
Squeak Community -- it is SqC. Maybe what is happening here is really
some people thinking about replacing one hierarchy (SqC) funded by
Disney with another hierarchy (SqF) funded by the community (or a few
commercial donors), in order to make the development of Squeak more
responsive to the organizer's vision or donor's needs (or out of general
goodness :-). It's an easy thing to think this way -- because a central
release system is a situation we are all familiar with. It is a valid
question to ask, should we replace one hierarchy with another as opposed
to doing something else?

Whether there are better alternatives in this situation is a good
question. One may want to look at a more "termite" model of management
for how the Squeak community could (and to an extent, does) work:
  http://www.imaginiz.com/provocative/organize/termites.html
In some ways, the "termite" model is probably how much development
already works in practice, ignoring SqC for the moment, as people make
some exciting bit of Squeak code and others pile more code onto that,
and then things get really moving in the community if two or more such
piles of code can be linked together to make something grander (like
Nebraska -- based on various other creative code related to Morphs).
However, even termites are in a way hierarchical, controlled both with
pheromones secreted by a queen and also with shared DNA patterns
effecting their behavior. So again, it is hard to find a pure meshwork
(or hierarchy).

Personally, I've been musing on the idea of a peer-to-peer source code
management system for Squeak to address exactly this concern you raise.
I've been thinking some about this, although I can't yet see how they
could *easily* coordinate code releases. Anyone know of peer-to-peer
systems used for source control already or got any ideas on this?
Obviously, emailing around changesets is a start. Maybe that could be
enough with a better prerequisite system?

However, even if SqF didn't manage releases, there may well be a
legitimate reason to have such an organization for "marketing" Squeak
and serving as spokesperson for the community (given the way the rest of
the world works and what the press might expect).

Your point about "interpretation" is also very important to always keep
in mind. I guess that's one reason why the US has the Supreme Court in
addition to other branches of government -- to ultimately "interpret"
the constitution. Who will play that role in a Squeak Foundation? I
don't know. Presumably, the board of trustees, who are typically
volunteers. For that reasons, many times paid staff can't be voting
trustees (separating the "executive branch" from the "judicial")
although this is a gray area:
   http://www.nonprofits.org/npofaq/03/17.html

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com