VMMaker (was: RE: [Win32][VM]: Update to 3.1 Alpha build 4)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun May 6 00:43:28 UTC 2001

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> is widely believed to have written:

> > Ooh, ooh, I know that one! It's becuase it is a plugin that requires
> > platform support file (sqW32Drop.c or whatever you've namedit) and it
> > wasn't found.
>
> Gee, you mean VMMaker goes looking if some support file exists and if not,
> doesn't even generate the plugin?! What's that good for?! How would one
> start to port the plugin if it will never be generated?!
Gotta keep some part of this difficult or people will stop thinking that
VM making is difficult and then .... we don't get paid so much!

Actually, your question contains the seeds of its own answer; all
VMMaker does is check to see if a file exists (actaully, a directory in
strict truth) so all you need to do is create the empty directory as a
flag bit. Another useful tidbit for the squeakNews article :-)

tim

Protect your software at all costs; all else is merely meat.