Sharing with you my enthousiasm

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Tue May 1 17:58:23 UTC 2001

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Bob Arning <arning at charm.net> wrote:
> 	What I like about the different colors:
>
> 	- I can quickly find windows I am looking for even when only a corner
>         is visible under a pile of other stuff.
> 	- It's a quick visual clue of what this window is about.
>
> Others have said the same.  But the same benefits could be obtained
> from coloured borders, especially if there were a new kind of corner.
>
> The new kind of corner is rounded on the inside like rounded corners,
> square on the outside like square corners.  This gives you a little
> "gusset" of border colour, quite noticeable.

Hey, that sounds nice!  It could also make flopped-out scroll bars
hanging beside rounded corners look much less ugly.  I find the break
in their outline quite sloppy-looking.  (I've been wondering for some
time how one would make half-rounded windows, round on top and square
on bottom, to address just this issue.  It's beyond my ken at the
moment, but I think it would look great.)

As for the helpfulness of colors in general, I think they're great for
quick recognition, but mostly when there are only a few windows in
play.  I tend to have a bunch of browsers open on different classes,
and the colors don't help a bit with that.  (Doug, much as I like
Whisker, my 800x600 screen is just too cramped for it to be very
useful.  The text panes are too narrow.)  The recent change to put the
class name in the title bar is much more useful to me, on that front.
(Who was responsible for that?  Ned?  Thanks!)  I also tend to use
spatial relationships almost as much as color, usually placing
Workspaces (short and wide) in the lower left, Transcripts (tall and
narrow) on the right, and so on.

-Jesse