creating a launcher morph

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sun May 6 00:26:13 UTC 2001

Aron Brener wrote:

//snip//

> I was looking at a tutorial on how to create a traffic light,
//snip//

I'm slowly working on an English translation of that tutorial: how's
your Spanish?

> Am I approaching this completely the wrong way??

Maybe. Really there's no right way. You can either do the morphic stuff
in a traditional Smalltalk way (writing code) or a direct manipulation
way (using the scripts, drag and drop and writing as little code as
possible).

> One of the problems I have with morphs is that there seems to be a
> lot of "magic" going on behind the scenes,

Direct manipulation allows you to accept and use the magic. Having got
something up and running by direct manipulation you might like to try
re-creating (and smoothing off the rough edges) "traditionally".

> and there's no comprehensive tutorial or a reference guide, or something like >that.

That's true, but a lot of people are working on it. For starters, you
could take a peek at my Rolodex Tutorial:

http://www.penguin-home.telinco.co.uk/Rolodex_Project/index.html

There's a link in there to Dan Shafer's Counter Tutorial which you might
also like.

> Every time I try to look at what's going on it just overwhelms me.

Me too! For the moment I'm trying to accept more, experiment more, and
look less!

Hope this helps

John

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."