[ENH] windowshade30 (+comments)

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Mon May 7 00:51:30 UTC 2001

> On Saturday 05 May 2001 19:33, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
>
> > Recent arguments made by Microsoft executives criticizing open source
> > development criticize such systems point to forking software as its
> > achilles heel.
>
> As someone who's tried to port things between different versions of Windows
> (even Win32) over the years, I'd have to say that Microsoft is no stranger to
> the forking problem.

Amen to that.  As someone who has to test software regularly between all
variants of Windows (even...ick...Win 3.1) I can wholeheartedly attest to the
non-uniformity between Windows flavours.

Microsoft ranting about forking being "bad" is quite humourous...but I doubt
that the VP in question has actually done much work trying to -code- between
the different incarnations of Windows either.

> For some reason, for instance, their Win9x and WinNT groups didn't bother
> coordinating where things go in the registry.

And don't forget WinME with it's totally "new" way of dealing with environment
variables (no, they couldn't leave autoexec.bat well enough alone, nor could
they impliment something like NT's environment variable system...)

> Or you could look at a variety of Win32 API calls that work just enough
> differently to be annoying.
>
> For entertainment, look at MFC source code sometime. There is (or was the
> last time I looked) considerable conditional compilation depending on OS
> version.

You find MFC entertaining? :)