Squeak Release Numbers (was Re: Squeak3.1a-3960.zip)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat May 5 23:36:34 UTC 2001

Lantz Rowland wrote:

> At 10:38 am 5/1/01, Bruce ONeel wrote:
> >Thanks!  It's in  the 3.0/unstableTestpilot directory...
>
> Umm Bruce ... ,
>
> While I understand the thought behind the directory name and your hiding it
> like this, I disagree with inventing another complication that will require
> explanations.
>
> The technique of using Integers for the Major Version number (1.x, 2.x,
> 3.x)  with an even decimal for the Production Release number (3.0, 3.2, 3.4
> ... 4.0, 4.2 ...) and an odd decimal for the following development (aka
> TestPilot) Release number (3.1, 3.3 ...) ,that gets created at the very
> same instant is not a hard concept to describe.

Maybe not, but it is somewhat (unnecessarily) more complicated than the current scheme, which is simply that any version with an "alpha" after it is a development/testpilot release.  And I think referring to a development version as "alpha" is probably more universally recognized than an even/odd numbering scheme.

Also, Bruce is the maintainer of the ftp site, but Squeak Central is ultimately in charge of what they want to name the versions of Squeak, so you'd have to convince them to use the even/odd scheme, too.

> The primary concern, seems to be that a person with no prior knowledge of
> Squeak Release numbers, will discover the Ftp site and incorrectly assume
> that since release 3.1 is greater than release 3.0, that is the release
> they should get.

The current scheme does an excellent job of addressing this, IMHO, since you have to dig a bit to find a 3.1alpha directory, but it's easy to find the current 3.0 production release.

I guess your concern is that it's currently a bit too difficult for someone to find the development (alpha) release?  I think it should be somewhat hidden, although I suppose it could be made slightly less hidden by renaming the unstable-testPilot directory to unstable-3.1alpha or something like that.  (Although I wouldn't mind leaving it the way it is, either.)

Some of your descriptive text describing development versions versus production versions might be useful in a readme somewhere, though.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com