Squeak for iPAQ

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Sat May 12 00:52:17 UTC 2001

Part of the slowdown may be the cost of getting bits to the screen via
the normal WinCE interface. Yoshiki Ohshima found that using the windows
games API gave a huge speedup in display update speed. Of course,
that is only part of the reason that Morphic feels slow, and you may already
be using a VM with Yoshiki's display code. Another possible source
of sluggishness is floating point operations, which must be emulated on
the StrongARM. Finally--and this is real stab in the dark-- there may be
an unexpected interaction between Windows CE and event processing.
You might see if an old 2.7 or 2.8 image feels any faster when running
Morphic.

We've been fairly impressed with the raw computational power of the iPaq,
but we're not using Morphic on it. Nor are we doing Squeak development
on the iPaq. We develop on a desktop or laptop and just move the image
over to the iPaq for testing.

	-- John