Unix release (was: Re: Best way to deal with OS events?)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon May 28 22:07:06 UTC 2001

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 11:02:25PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> We haven't touched the CVS for almost a year now. Maybe we should just
> import Ian's official 3.0pre2 sources as Vendor Branch and work from that?
> http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Tracking_Third-Party_Sources__Vendor_Branches_
> This would allow us to be relatively independent of when a new release
> comes out, and it would clearly mark the distinction between official
> sources and community patches.

I would welcome this. We should position the CVS work as a test pilot
environment, with an explicit recognition of Ian as the only official
source release, and a commitment to provide all useful changes back to
Ian for possible inclusion in the official releases.

I think that as long as we are clear on these points, we can provide
valuable support for Ian's main work, and also maintain an environment
where we can hack the Unix code in a more organized and responsive way.

Dave