Community and Artifact Define One Another

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu May 31 19:43:42 UTC 2001

I think that Stephen is referring to forking the community, not the
artifact.  The pws at cc.gatech.edu mailing list is live and well
(though not NEARLY as busy as the Squeak list! :-).  But you're right
-- Comanche and Swiki run just fine on normal Squeak.

Mark

At 9:11 PM +0200 5/31/01, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>Stephen Pair wrote:
>
> > I think people seem to forget that for a long time now, we've had a fork
> > that has quite successfully co-existed with the rest of the Squeak
> > community.  I think it has also been mutually beneficial.  It's called
> > ComSwiki and can be downloaded at:
> >
> > http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/swiki
>
>Sorry, but this is wrong - please do not try to rewrite history to justify
>forks. For a long time now the up-to-date ComSwiki-sources have been made
>available by the authors and they could be filed in to an unforked image.
>Maybe the source is not (yet) available for the most recent version for
>whatever reason but that was not the case before.
>
>Andreas
>
>BTW: The StSq-people have made a decision that they do *not* want to be
>forkers and therefore all debates about forks have become much less relevant
>as far as I am concerned.

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu