[OT] IVR and AR in Squeak

Rosemary Michelle Simpson rms at cs.brown.edu
Mon May 21 21:53:58 UTC 2001

I know that the Squeak community has a strong interest in
multimedia.  Does this extend to augmented and virtual reality?
Are there any projects underway or planned for using Squeak in
such IVR environments as the CAVE or AR environments such as
Columbia's MARS project?

While I'm interested long-term because of my own work, I have
an immediate concern because I'm helping Andy van Dam prepare
a keynote talk to be given at the 60th birthday celebration for
Jose Encarnacao of Fraunhoffer IGD next week.  His title is:
"User Interfaces:  Disappearing, Dissolving, and Evolving" and one
of the things he wants to stress is the urgent need for a new design
discipline and trends in bringing the entertainment sciences and
computer science together.  All of this within a framework of IVR
and AR.  wrt the conjunction of entertainment sciences and
computer science Alan Kay and Randy Pausch come to mind in the
context of Squeak and Alice and Disney, so I thought I'd ask about
other projects someone on this list might know of.

Thanks,

R.