web application frameworks in Squeak?

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Fri May 25 20:51:33 UTC 2001

At Fri, 25 May 2001 19:38:28 +0100,
John Hinsley wrote:

> Just some musings. Imagine you want a web site with dynamic content.
> Ignoring
> the active server pages route (expensive, slow, closed source) the
> choices
> seem to be:
>
> Apache (or whatever) + MySQL (or whatever) + PHP. It can be made to work
> very
> well and is a widely used and well documented route. Most quibbles about
> doing
> it under Linux seem to have been blitzed by the advent of 2.4.
>
> Zope + MySQL. Not so well documented (and currently lacking a graphical
> front
> end -- I hear one's in the works). I hear tales of blistering
> performance. The
> downside is having to learn Python (and, depending on your POV, having
> to use
> MySQL).
>
> But I wondered, looking through the Sqiki stuff, extrapolating snippets
> from
> this list, just what it'd take to do a web application framework in
> Squeak,
> perhaps using Comanche as a basis? (It'd be nice to use an OODB, too!)

I think we already got two major components of the Zope platform :
Medusa the Zope HTTP server can be implemented by Comanche, for the Zope
Object Data Base (ZODB) maybe we can use Minestore (does it support
multithreading ?).

What we need is something similar to the ZPublisher, the Zope object
publisher, for Squeak.

--
Serge Stinckwich                                   -< )  http://multiagent.com/
CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>I3>SMILE                        /~\  http://squeak.org/