Multiple disjoint object memory in Smalltalk

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Fri May 25 19:39:24 UTC 2001

Has anyone done any research into the use of multiple, disjoint, object
memory heaps in Smalltalk?  I have done several searches via Google, and
turned up nothing.

My thought is that Squeak could be extended to support multiple, disjoint,
heaps.  For example, a persistent store could be managed as a separate heap;
especially if you take into account the previously raised discourse on
memory mapped image files.

Behavior>>basicNew and Bahavior>>basicNew: would be supplemented by
Behavior>>basicNewIn: and Behavior>>basicNew:In:, to allow an object memory
to be specified.  Likewise, the various new methods new would be augmented;
this could be done mechanically.  Thus one could say:

 Foo new
 Foo newIn: store
 Foo new: size
 Foo new: size In: store

I am not naively suggesting that this is (even remotely) all that would need
to be done to make multiple, disjoint, attachable heaps work.  Just
soliciting comments, references, etc.

	--- Noel