German Squeak [was Squeak for 3-year-olds]

Brent Pinkney Brent.Pinkney at reuters.com
Wed May 2 08:40:00 UTC 2001

Interesting comment about Squeak in Italian. While we are OT about languages...

I am introducing my German work collegue to Smalltalk. He is from a pure
C++\Java background and it took him quite a while to believe that Smatallktalk
has only 5 reserved words.

You should have seen his face when I whipped up a script to change all
ifTrue:ifFalse etc to their German falsWahr:[]... etc equivalents.

In not time we had translated a reasonable portion of Squeak's messages into
High German.

I always wondered why there are no known programming languages with non-English
syntax.

Cheers
Brent

the views of Reuters Ltd.