Best way to deal with OS events?

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Mon May 28 12:30:48 UTC 2001

Hi Folks:

A quick question about OS events and Squeak...I'm in the process of hacking
up a PDA application for the iPaq running Squeak.  I'm doing this on
Linux for the iPaq as well.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how best to impliment an alarm for a
calendar similar to what the Palm does.  I want to be able to set events
for dates & times and have the iPaq wake up and make a 'beep' or something.
The functionality for the alarm wakeup stuff is all OS-level, and is not
quite there yet...however it probably will be in short order.

So my question is, how best to read an OS event like this from Squeak?
I'm thinking that OSProcess might be my best bet, but that would limit
portability.  I'm not sure exactly how the 'wakeup event' will appear...
probably an APM related event, I imagine.

Any ideas?

(and for anyone interested, the latest release of Linux for the iPaq
is quite nice...it includes 'ipkg', similar to Debian's dpkg which makes
it trivial to strip the system down to it's bare bones for space.  All
that, and the power/suspend button finally works. :)