[FIX] [UNIX] Re: SerialPort problem in UNIX Squeak 3.0 vm on FreeBSD

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue May 22 03:38:09 UTC 2001

On Monday 21 May 2001 20:41, Peter William Lount wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your help fixing this bug. Ned's C level changes seem to work
> great on FreeBSD the very first time!
>
> I'm sure that I don't understand what he changed but am gratefull that it
> now works. If anyone can explain the changes I'd appreciate it..

Simply: I forgot to set the CREAD bit when I initialized the termios flags.

However, I didn't catch it because CREAD (being a mostly useless flag) wasn't
used in Linux until 2.4.3. And I wasn't running 2.4.3 or later until very
recently.

As far as I can tell, the CREAD flag exists to save you the trouble of
cutting the RXD wire in your serial cable if you suddenly decide you don't
want to receive data but still want to send it. I can say that I've never
needed it.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA