Tech learning opinion

Jochen F. Rick nadja at cc.gatech.edu
Thu May 24 15:27:43 UTC 2001

This is possibly the worst article I've ever read on education. The
problem is not that there isn't a grain of truth to it, but rather that
its conclusions only loosely follow from the observations.

One of the posters to the discussion is upset that after having learning
IT in school that his kid can't install Eudora. I'm so glad that people
can agree that math with its logic and elegance is important, while
the important part of computing is being able to install software. The
computer revolution clearly hasn't reached these people yet.

Let me give you another perspective on "Americans" who supposedly can't
compete in math: mine. In high school, I was involved in mathematics
competition, etc. I even placed second at a national math competition.
Now, I get a B in computational theory. Why? The writer of the article
would probably claim that I don't have the necessary appreciation for
mathematics, since I went to an American school. Unfortunately, that is
not the case at all. It simply pains me to do computational theory,
because I don't see it as useful. I don't care about graphs. I don't care
about infinite tapes. The reason I took the class is because it is a
requirement. That's it. IMNSHO, that I am unmotivated by things I see as
useless is a positive thing. That I can even judge that for me these
things are useless is a positive thing.

I hope that the point of school isn't to make you appreciate useless
and tedious things. Math is fun. Math is useful. Math is challenging, but
that also makes it fun. Math is not learning the multiplication tables.
Math is learning about negative numbers, learning about fractions,
algebra, geometry, economics, etc. These things are so cool, because you
see them in life. You may have to learn the multiplication tables in
order to be able to use multiplication, but it is multiplication that is
important and NOT learning the multiplication table.

Computing environments like Logo, Boxer, and Squeak do not make math fun;
they make it accessible. Accessible math is fun. I agree that goofy
characters that help sugarcoat the multiplication tables are fairly
naive, but that is hardly an argument against all educational software.

Peace and Luck!

Je77