VMMaker (was: RE: [Win32][VM]: Update to 3.1 Alpha build 4)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat May 5 15:07:44 UTC 2001

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> is widely believed to have written:

> True, but I was under release pressure for the Squeakland update and simply
> didn't have time to fix up those things.
I understand completely and you were quite right under the
circumstances.

> > Rename which plugins?
>
> Sorry, not plugins. Should've said "module names"; making the module names
> match what is already out there in the images.
Ah, yes. I sort of realised that as I was getting to the end of
the message. You do need the two parts of the update together if
making the names regular is to be done. I do think there is some value
in cleaning them up, if only because it is simpler to explain.

> That's actually not what I've been talking about. I didn't check them all
> but one plugin that was not translated was the DropPlugin although it
> appears in the mentioned list.
Ooh, ooh, I know that one! It's becuase it is a plugin that requires
platform support file (sqW32Drop.c or whatever you've namedit) and it
wasn't found. The most obvious cause would be that you simply
didn't have a suitable directory for the VMMaker to find the file in;
other possibilities that I've already suffered from include things like
a tiny misspelling, permissions set wrong, or even naming the directory
something like DragDropPlugin instead of DropPlugin and forgetting that
some plugins are not named as the class. Which by the way is something
that might be fixed to our benefit.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IML: Invoke Murphy's Laws