SqF purpose: supporting the Squeak community?

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue May 29 20:43:39 UTC 2001

I realize that this horse should have died a long time ago...but I just
can't help myself.

> One my most favourite
> communities has been at a local bar, there is no declared purpose, each
> person goes for their own purpose.

Isn't the purpose to drink beer (or your beverage of choice), and talk about
stuff?

> If I suddenly walked in one night and
> told everyone that their purpose was to eat peanuts, I doubt it would be
> taken very well.

Probably not, since that purpose is different from the one for which they
gathered.

However, each participant in that community probably has a different idea
about the nature of the community (are they beer drinkers, singles, pool
players, wine enthusiasts?).  Yet the bar is still capable of satisfying
many people with many different interests.  The bar itself is the artifact,
and it has some charm that keeps drawing people to it...maybe it's the
drinks, maybe it's the decor, maybe it's the location, and yes, maybe it's
the people that frequent it.  It's all of those things.

Ten percent of the people might like to eat peanuts, and those people might
gather at the bar every night to eat peanuts...but it certainly wouldn't
work to force everyone to eat peanuts.

Is that much different from the Squeak community, or any community?

- Stephen