[ENH] Generating HTML with left- and up- arrows

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu May 3 23:44:55 UTC 2001

I posted a change set to use ↑ and ← in printOut.

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote
	But these characters are to large for my taste - see attached image
	(taken with Mozilla/Netscape 6).

I have given up viewing Squeak's HTML printOuts with Netscape
because it uses insanely small letters.  (Mind you, that does mean
that the printOut of Object took only 28 pages...)

I should clarify that.  The text is legible on screen, but teeny tiny on
paper.  I've switched to using Amaya (not available for MacOS, free for
UNIX and Windows) to view Squeak's HTML printOuts.  There I find that the
arrows are out of proportion on screen, but just about right on paper,
and printOut _is_ for printing.  If I wanted to read Smalltalk code on
screen, I'd use Squeak to do it, not Netscape.

	Maybe this should be customizable.

It should indeed.

Thanks for the URLs to previous related work.

There are two quite distinct things one might want to do:
 - convert a portion of the image into a Web that can be viewed
   *and navigated* using a Web browser.
 - generate a reasonably attractive listing on paper of a portion
   of the image.
Based on the Orange book, I had formed the impression that printOut
was intended for the second purpose.  In that case, HTML is simply
a means to an end.  Generating Postscript isn't simple, but neither
is getting all the details of HTML right, and at least Postscript
is more consistently displayed and printed than HTML.

The Squeak Browser is heckuva neat.
Or would be if it didn't use Javascript.  Because I have information
about students, exams, and assignments on my machines, I am always
careful to switch Javascript (and Java) support off in browsers.  Some
things don't seem to work, and I'm assuming that Javascript is the reason.