progress indicator mysteries

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun May 6 17:02:04 UTC 2001

On 05 May 2001 23:28:03 -0700 Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> wrote:
>Have I got it right:
>
>blue = downloading
>green = unzipping
>magenta = collecting (gathering, preparing) resources
>
>?
>
>For most projects, my system (P266, DSL) spends some time in blue, a
>little time in green, and a lot of time in magenta. What is it doing
>with the resources that takes so long, I wonder ?  I don't think it's
>downloading, because my network lights aren't flashing.

Simon,

There are several potentially time-consuming tasks during this phase. One is filing in any new Squeak code that the project may be bringing with it (some projects have a lot, most have none). If you want to get a better picture of what it's doing, you could add a MessageTally to

	ProjectLoading class>>openName:stream:fromDirectory:withProjectView:

around the part of code running in the magenta phase:

	ProgressNotification  signal: '3:unzipped'.
MessageTally spyOn: [		"<<<------ add this"
	ResourceCollector current: ResourceCollector new.
	morphOrList _ morphOrList fileInObjectAndCode.
	mgr _ ResourceManager new initializeFrom: ResourceCollector current.
	archive ifNotNil:[mgr preLoadFromArchive: archive].
	(preStream respondsTo: #close) ifTrue:[preStream close].
	ResourceCollector current: nil.
	ProgressNotification  signal: '4:filedIn'.

Cheers,
Bob