I don't quite understand some syntax seen in books

Thomas Porter txporter at mindspring.com
Sun May 13 17:13:07 UTC 2001

I have looked over some smalltalk tutorials and am now looking at Kent Beck's
"Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns".

I have come across some code fragments that I do not understand, such as:

Controller>>controlActivity
	self controlInitialize.
	self controlLoop.
	self controlTerminate.

What the heck is the '>>' between 'Controller' and 'controlActivity'?

Is this simply an indication that controlActivity is a method in class
Controller?  If so, what kind of method, class or instance?

I have seen this construction in other places, but I am afraid I am new enough
to Smalltalk that I had not run across this usage yet, particularly not in my
current bible, Mark G's Squeak book.

Tom Porter                                       txporter at mindspring.com
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
the right answers come out?'  I am not able rightly to apprehend the
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."