convincing squeak to use LF instead of CR as the line separator...

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu May 24 21:51:29 UTC 2001

woods at weird.com (Greg A. Woods) is widely believed to have written:

> [ On Wednesday, May 23, 2001 at 22:20:10 (+0100), John Hinsley wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: convincing squeak to use LF instead of CR as the line separator...
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure why the LF/CR "thing" is a problem for you.
>
> The major problem is of course that when my Unix-based squeak writes
> ordinary files I want it to always honour the Unix file separator
> convention, no matter what!  ;-)
This was a subject of argument many moons ago. Try looking up the
archives, wherever they may be. Basically Squeak can do the platform
thing ok if you use CrLFFileStream instead of a plain FileStream. Many
parts of the system do, some don't. No major messing around is needed.
My favourite simple answer would be to make FileStream _be_
CrLfFileStream.

> I guess I can live with converting public .cs and .pr files, but if I'm
> going to integrate Squeak into more and more of my day-to-day Unix work
> then I'll need it to read and write everthing in the same way all my
> other tools do, maybe even including .cs and .pr files which I might
> want to manipulate in other ways too (eg. with a Unix text editor).
you'd be a fool to try to mess with .pr files in a text editor. No user
servicable parts in there!

Useful Latin Phrases:- Magister Mundi sum! = I am the Master of the Universe!