The license-free fonts, was: Re: Packaging Squeak for Debian GNU/Linux

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed May 23 23:46:31 UTC 2001

Concerning the fonts in Stable Squeak and whether or not they can be
plugged into SqC Squeak:

What I want is
    (Serif | Sans-Serif) x (Proportional | MonoSpace) x
    (Plain | Italic | Bold) x
    (10 | 12 | 14) point physical size on screen
fonts that all have the _same_ characters in the same positions.

In Squeak 3.0.1, New York 10 and New York 12 show ^ as up arrow and
_ as left arrow, but New York 18 and New York 24 show them as ^ _.
The character that is a heart in New York 18 is a robot in New York 24
and New York 12.  The character that seems to be a euro (I shall never
understand why a small kanagroo-like animal from Australia has a
character named after it that doesn't even look like a kangaroo) in
New York 12 is unavailable in the other sizes.  And these aren't even
other "fonts", just different sizes of the same "font".

This country has two official languages, and for one of them I need a set
of vowels with macrons.  Standard practice is to take fonts that have
vowels with umlauts and bodge them.  One gets used to reading the umlauted
letters as if they had macrons anyway.  The MacRoman character set has all
the umlauted letters I want, but \"E and \"O are up in the block of 30-some
characters that the Squeak fonts omit.  I'd also rather like middle dot.

Don't mistake me:  I'm grateful for what I've got; it's worth a lot more than
I paid for it!  But *IF* something is going to be done about fonts, I hope
these issues will be addressed.

PS:  what do I do to get more fonts in the Cmd-k menu than just New York?
There _are_ more fonts in the system, after all.