Squeakland.org

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri May 4 10:33:40 UTC 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

> Alan Kay wrote:
>
> > Well, this is the way I always run Squeak (in full screen mode).
> >
> > But one of the reasons I don't like to run as a plugin on the Mac is
> > that it seems more fragile than running as a simple app.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> What motivated you to do all the work of writing browser plugins,
> instead of just making Squeak a helper app?

Can't speak for Alan, but IMO the point is to make Squeak accessible to
"the masses" at the lowest possible effort for *them*.

> I always run e.g. Acrobat separately instead of using the plugin for it, and
> I guess the reasons I'd prefer to use Squeak like this too is that plugins
> become too limiting and hackish once you try to do more than drawing
> something on the screen.

That's why the Squeak Browser Plugin is not a crippled "runtime" version
but the whole hawg. On both, Win32 and Unix, a standard VM with its own
window is started as separate process from the plugin (the Mac is, well,
different, as usual ;-).

-- Bert