"No Tipping" puzzle

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Thu May 3 21:31:27 UTC 2001

Hi, Yoshiki,

At 1:43 PM -0700 5/3/01, Ohshima, Yoshiki wrote:
>   I found that a message sent by 'tellAllSiblings:' is only
>delivered to the morphs created by the 'copy' tile in
>'miscellaneous' category, but not to the copy created by
>green halo.  Is this intended behavior?  I'm using 3.1
>alpha, highest update = 3960.

Yes, this is the intended behavior, for now anyway: the green
halo-handle creates a deep copy of the morph and its uniclass, rather
than another instance of the existing uniclass.

You *can* however create sibling instances manually from the halo,
you don't have to do it programmatically.  Use "make a sibling
instance" from the halo menu of any scripted object.  Or if you want
many sibling instances all at once, use "make multiple siblings..."

We've talked about changing things so that the green handle creates a
sibling-instance instead, but there are complications about user
expectations here, particularly when the copy is made before any
behavior has been added.  In any case, the matter is still under
discussion, and for now the green handle continues to make a deep
copy, as you noticed.

   -- Scott