VM source in Squeak?

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Mon May 21 14:59:28 UTC 2001

Bert,

Exactly how does this work in terms of porting?  I see relatively little in
the image for generating a platform specific build tree from which one could
generate a specific VM.  There is FFIPlugin class >>writeSupportFiles,
InterpreterSupportCode class >> writeMacSourceFiles, and the portable files
have #ifdef areas in them.

Ohshima-san ports Squeak to iPAQ, but I use a "stock" image, and there are
no iPAQ specific packages from the server that can be used to generate a
WinCE build tree for eVC.  Is it intended that as his port becomes stable,
that the WinCE code is embedded into the image?

What about plugins, resources, make files, eVC project files, etc?  You can
generalize that inquiry for all platforms: how comprehensive is it intended
that the Squeak image have all of the material necessary to generate a VM,
and when will this be realized in actuality?

	--- Noel