Squeakland.org -- plugin problem on OS X

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu May 3 04:32:16 UTC 2001

>Serg Koren wrote:
>>  I get the following error:
>>
>>  May 02 23:05:02  Warning: Cannot convert charset "8859_1" to string
>>  encoding; using default encoding instead
>
>Does that mean it doesn't load or even download at all?
>
>Michael

Well I better point out to Michael OmniWeb is a true Cocoa
application under OS-X.
So there are a number of hurdles here Michael isn't aware of. First the
installer is really focused around dealing with IE and Netscape. There isn't
an option to install the plugin for OmniWeb. One could hand install it but...

The bigger problem, is that the Squeak plugin is a classic MAC application,
it won't run, or be recognized by OmniWeb.

Now before someone discovers this. The Carbon version of IE (5.1) will NOT load
the Squeak plugin. I think one needs to create a carbon version of the plugin
(lurks on my todo list).

This should also apply to the carbon version of iCab and Opera, in
case anyone is curious.

Sorry, you are all restricted to classic versions of browsers.