Embedding Squeak in REALbasic?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon May 28 19:55:20 UTC 2001

On 27 May 2001, J Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> writes:
> > Drag and Drop from finder is possible with Squeak. gif, jpeg and bmp
> > works.
>
> Mmm, is this possible with any of the Linux file managers?

Nobody implemented the drag'n'drop prims for X, yet. There was a
discussion a while ago, we sort-of agreed XDND support was what we want.
(see http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/xdnd/). It is supported by Gnome,
KDE, and Mozilla, and basically only leaves out Motif apps (like Netscape
4).

There are only four functions to be filled in sqUnixDragDrop.c. If someone
takes the job, I can offer a generic mechanism for plugins to hook into
the main X event handler (I did this for the XInput tablet support). It
would be easier to just patch sqXWindow.c, but not as clean. Are you
volounteering? ;-)

-- Bert