What's "Linking" under the GPL?

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Thu Nov 1 13:05:05 UTC 2001

On Thursday, November 1, 2001, at 04:00  AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
wrote:

> I do understand your observation but honestly - all these comparisons
> between FSF/GNU/Richard Stallman and Communism/Soviet Union are:
>
> 1. Quite boring because we have heard them oh so many times...
> 2. Often rather unenlightened (not always, but often)
> 3. Often pure propaganda (see Microsoft trying to pull the EXACT same
> stunt)
> 4. IMHO just totally wrong
>
> The GPL is engineered on purpose to foster free software in favour of
> "closed proprietary software" (pick your own words if those sound
> wrong). SqueakL and MIT are not.

Well, not to support the analogy, but there is little doubt that "free
software" engineered so you can't do things with it isn't particularly
free.  The use, indeed pedantic insistence by RMS, on using newspeak in
lieu of English and reason to describe things proves this more clearly
than anything else.  With all due respect, the authoritarian regime of
the GPL, whose function is to constrain and limit what may be done with
the software, as opposed to the Berkeley license, whose primary function
is to pass the software along, shifting risk to the licensee, reserving
the bare bones minimum obligation of acknowledgment, makes clear to all
which is the free license.

The fact that you can't use GPL in a monolithic image, unless you can
relicense EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE IMAGE under GPL proves this clearly.

As to Goran's points, none of them are substantive.  1 and 2 amount to
name-calling, proving nothing.  3 is also name-calling and silly,
presuming that references to Microsoft somehow marginalizes an argument,
and ignores the fact that a substantial contingent of the Slashdot crowd
make the same arguments.  And 4 simply states a conclusion.  In short,
none of the four points constitute argument.  Interestingly, the
paragraph after the numbered points proves too much -- the "engineering"
of a society of software users seems, to me, to make the original
poster's point more than otherwise.

For me, the main problem with the government analogies is that they are
not useful.  Even if perfectly descriptive, they are not prescriptive in
any meaningful sense, and thus, quibbling about their applicability is
nothing more than empty wordplay, leading to arguments such as the above
listing "points" that prove nothing.

> I have a question here: What do you dislike about the GPL? (assuming
> that you do dislike the system of old Soviet Union)

The fact that it ultimately limits what I can do with the software in a
manner that can rarely be repaired without substantial expense.  I can't
use GPL software in a monolithic image, and that's very bad for
Smalltalk coders.  And, in practice, it is impossible to renegotiate a
significant term for a proprietary license.

I do a lot of open source compliance advise, and can freely attest that
the GPL raises far more problems for promoting the free use of
software.  Happily, I am nerd as much as lawyer, and can frequently
point clients to corresponding free software they can use in its stead.

GPL doesn't promote the propagation of free software (again, using the
english denotation of the word "free" rather than the FSF appropriation
thereof) so much as it promotes the propagation of GPL'd software.  RMS
is pleased to admit the truth of this, and to defend it.  Not all of us
share all of his "vision."