[OT] GEM, Blitter, and Atari ST (was: RE: Debian and SqueakL revisited again)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Thu Nov 1 14:14:41 UTC 2001

Chris Reuter wrote:
> GEM was released under the GPL when Caldera
> bought Digital Research.  The Watcom C compiler is due to be
> released as open-source software as well, although the
> current maintainers are still trying to remove
> third-party-licensed code.

Now that's a blast from the past.  The Atari ST (running GEM) was the
computer on which I learned GUIs and event driven C programming  (with
the Mark Williams C compiler) when I was a kid.  I recently got an Atari
ST emulator running on my laptop and noticed something curious...there
was a menu option on the desktop called "Blitter" which IIRC sped up the
graphics display.  I wonder if anyone here knows if this has any
relationship to BitBlt?

- Stephen