External Libs (was Re: libcurl?!)

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Nov 1 15:06:48 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 03:45:52PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Kevin Fisher wrote:
>
> > Ditto here...
> >
> > I had a simple class that used FFI to call some functions in an external
> > library.  For some reason, FFI no longer works for me on UNIX
>
> Actually, FFI works on Linux as it ever has. Just get SqueakFFIPrims.so
> from somewhere (Andreas' original release still works fine:
> http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/FFI), put it somewhere it
> can be found (cwd does nicely), and off you go - I just tried

Yes, I think it's a problem on my end.  I've got the plugin, the
external libffi et al...but ever since the 3.0 VM it just stopped working
for me.  I figured it was high time I learned about VM plugins anyways so I've
not looked into it too deeply.

> 	X11Display coloredRectangles
>
> Simply because it's "disabled" in the build process does not mean it wont
> work. And it *is* a heck of a security hole. It is so dangerous that we
> want everyone who wants to use it spend a little effort to get.
>
> -- Bert

I usually build my own VMs and yes, it -is- enabled...why it doesn't work
on my end warrants a little investigation on my part I guess.  I still
need to figure out making plugins though. :)  What I was doing with FFI
(making calls to glib and libxmms) is something that better fits as a plugin.

(It worked fine for me with the old 2.9 VM sources, however.  It really
is handy for "quickly" prototyping a plugin.)