Game Programming in Squeak

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Nov 1 20:43:01 UTC 2001

Hi

Just to mention that Crash Bandicoot was develop in CommonLisp
look at www.franz.com

Naughty Dog Software
Application: Crash Bandicoot Game System
Crash Bandicoot is the latest game release from Naughty Dog Software,
Universal City, CA. The game is a popular Sony Playstation release. Naughty
Dog used Allegro CL for the character control portions of the game. The
character control and AI written in Lisp enabled the development of over 500
different types of game objects, each with uniquely crafted and tuned
gameplay and visual characteristics.

For the 3D addict I can also tell you that www.nichimen.com implemented (and
I believe still does) everything in CommonLisp (with image nearly 100Mb
running on Silicon boxes). I was nearly working for them. But this is true
that their libraries has been optimized to the cell consumption level
according to the Lisp gurus I met at that time.

NICHIMEN
Application: N-World
Nintendo's highly successful game release for the Nintendo 64, Super Mario
64, was built using the N-World development tool suite from Nichimen
Graphics Inc. Nichimen chose Allegro CL from Franz Inc. to develop its
powerful N-World products.

It was really impressive for an academic like me to see CLOS and its MOP use
for making really software ;)

Stef