I Love Squeak !

Russ Van Rooy russvr at blarg.net
Thu Nov 1 23:03:17 UTC 2001

Hi Squeak People ! I am mostly just a lurker on this mail/news list about
Squeak. I've been "playing" with Squeak ever since there has been a version
that runs on Windows (  what was that, something like version 1.3 ? ) and
have really enjoyed the diverse conversations that crop up on this list -
even the acrimonious ones ;-/ . I have watched Squeak become more and more
useable with excitement. I am not a professional developer but I am a
professional software tester ( currently dot-canned, but that's another
story ) . Every so often I become re-interested in the latest
Squeak/Smalltalk  developments and I get the bug to play around some more
with Squeak. The problem is that I too many interests - so I am not always
climbing that learning curve. Lately ,since I've had more time on my hands,
I've been using the latest alpha version of Squeak ( 3.2 alpha 4441) and for
what I've been doing, it seems quite stable. I really like the UI
improvements, the more 3-Dimensional look and feel, and it *does* seem to
run faster than before . I  don't have much to say except that I find it to
be a great pleasure and an honor to be able to participate ( or just lurk )
in a mail list such as this in which the founders,movers and shakers of the
Smalltalk movement regularly chime in ! Thanks to Alan Kay and Dan Ingalls
in particular. Not to get too mushy here, but you guys SqueakCentral are
heroes to me ! I used to test for Asymetrix ( Now Click2learn.Inc.) , maker
of Toolbook if anyone out there knows of it. I used to tell my co-workers
about Squeak and lobbied to get them to use it for a commercial project but
to no avail . Toolbook is in it's own way kind of similar to Smalltalk ,but
Squeak is several orders of magnitude more flexible . Last thing I want to
say , I would like to create a simulation of a spider building an orb web
( kind of Halloweeny I guess)  in Morphic. Can anyone give me a pointer as
to how I should do this ? I just want it to be an etoy type animation .
Thanks folks !
- Russ Van Rooy